fbpx
Cellulant Recognised as a Leading Payment Platform Solutions Provider in Nigeria for its Tingg PlatformRead more Binance Signs Cristiano Ronaldo for Exclusive PartnershipRead more Human Rights Volunteer Roles to Return for FIFA World Cup QatarRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No Transparency CopyRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No TransparencyRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No TransparencyRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No TransparencyRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No TransparencyRead more White House ‘Social Media Summit’: No Facebook, No Twitter, No TransparencyRead more Twitter to Label Tweets by Leaders Who Break Its RulesRead more

US proceeding with troop cuts in Afghanistan: top general

Print Friendly and PDF

Dec 03, 2020 - 07:05 AM

WASHINGTON — The US military is proceeding with President Donald Trump’s order to slash troops in Afghanistan to 2,500 by mid-January, the Pentagon’s top general said Wednesday, calling the situation on the ground a “strategic stalemate.”

Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley, who earlier appeared opposed to cuts on the estimated 4,500 US troops currently there, said the United States had been successful “to a large measure” at its original goal of hitting Al-Qaeda after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The US went to Afghanistan in 2001, he said, “to ensure that Afghanistan never again became a platform for terrorists to strike against the United States.

“To a large measure, we have been, at least to date, successful in preventing that from happening again,” Milley said in an online Brookings Institution forum.

“We believe that now after 20 years, two decades of consistent effort there we’ve achieved a modicum of success.”

Milley said it has been clear for the past five to seven years that the situation on the ground has been a strategic stalemate, with neither Afghan government forces or Taliban insurgents able to defeat the other.

The only way that war could come to an end — in a way that is aligned with US security needs — he said, was through a negotiated settlement between Kabul and the Taliban.

With negotiations on a peace deal underway in Doha, he said, the Trump administration has decided to cut US troop levels — which were at about 13,000 a year ago — to 2,500 by January 15.

At that level, he said, the US will hold “a couple” main bases and several smaller satellite bases in the country.

In early November, Trump fired defense secretary Mark Esper, who had resisted accelerating a troop withdrawal schedule, and replaced him with White House aide Chris Miller, who backs the drawdown plans.

“We’re in the process of executing that decision right now,” Milley said.

“What comes after that, that will be up to a new administration,” he said, referring to President-elect Joe Biden, who will replace Trump in late January.

“We’ll find that out on January 20 and beyond,” Milley added.

  • bio
  • twitter
  • facebook
  • latest posts

LMBCNEWS.COM uses both Facebook and Disqus comment systems to make it easier for you to contribute. We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. All comments should be relevant to the topic. By posting, you agree to our Privacy Policy. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, name-calling, foul language or other inappropriate behavior. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. By leaving the ‘Post to Facebook’ box selected – when using Facebook comment system – your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below. If you encounter a comment that is abusive, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the Facebook comment box to report spam or abuse. You can also email us.